December 11, 2005

Okay, Once I Became All-Powerful

One time Erik and Sera and I were waiting for dinner at a restaurant and I decided that we should play the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern game. So I pulled out a quarter and explained the rules.

"The person who gets the most heads in a row wins, but that's going to be me because I'm going to win. Sorry about that."

Obviously, there was an intense level of interest expressed by all as I flipped the quarter.

"Heads," I said, stating the obvious. That is also part of the rules: you have to say, "Heads," when you get a heads.

Sera and Erik exchanged subtle glances of wonderment and anxiety.

I flipped the quarter in the air and looked at the result.

"Tails."

Confidently, I gave the quarter to Sera. She would only have to get two heads in a row to beat me and thus derail my whole me-winning prophecy, but I wasn't concerned.

And what do you know? She got a tails.

Then Erik got a tails on his first flip and I won, just like I told them I was going to do.

They looked awfully baffled at how I knew I was going to win.

"Want to know how to do that?" I asked.

"Sure," Erik said.

"You become God."

And it works, too. Trust me, if you become God, you will find it very easy to rig a coin-flipping game.

Later that day, I also decided to win a game of bowling.

4 comments:

Joey Polanski said...

Souns sorta like ya bcame all powrful TWICE, donit?

Aaron Dietz said...

You have caught on to the finer points of my humor, Sir Joey. Well done.

Joey Polanski said...

An a knighthood too!

Id like t thank th acadimy, an Aaaaaaron, an ... an ... Oh, yeah! ... an th Queen of Inglan, an ...

(ppreciated!)

Aaron Dietz said...

And you spelled my name right. Excellent.